Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Braised Potatoes & Chickpeas



Vegetarians can braise too! This dish reminds me of a kindergarten memory. We were asked to draw a picture of one of our favorite foods, so I drew a picture of this potato and chickpea dish. When the teacher asked what it was called, I didn't know, and I felt embarrassed for not knowing. In fact, I still don't know, so I made up a name just for this posting.

Serves 2
Ingredients
2 medium-sized potatoes, quartered and sliced crosswise
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup chickpeas
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp oil or ghee
1" peeled and chopped ginger
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt

Preparation
1. In a medium-sized pot, add the oil or ghee and bring it to high heat.
2. Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 30 seconds.
3. Add the onion and ginger, and stir them around for 1 minute.
4. Add the potatoes, and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. This allows the potato to brown, which really does wonders for the flavor of the dish.
5. Add the water, tomato paste, and salt. Turn the heat down to medium-low, and simmer for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment