Story:
Of the many masala chai blends I've tried over the years, only the one from California-based Peet's Tea & Coffee came close to the one my grandmother made. But since Peet's got out of making their own blends and instead partnered with Mighty Leaf Tea, I have been treating my last tin like a collector's item.
So what's a Masala Chai aficionado to do? Reverse Engineer, that's what!!
Over the years, I've collected Peet's brochures, and from looking at them all I've managed to determine the spices they used in their now-discontinued Masala Chai blend. After some trial-and-error, I managed to come up with the proportions.
I've named this blend after my oldest son Jaron who is already a fan of chai, and helped me make this blend as only an enthusiastic 4-year old can.
Best to use this with our Masala Chai recipe!
32-Tbsp (Full Yield) Recipe:
8 sticks of cinnamon, coarsely ground
32 whole cloves
Seeds of 32 green cardamom pods, ground
32 Tellicherry peppercorns, ground
2 Tbsp of dried, cracked ginger
16 Tbsp Lipton Yellow Label loose tea (a modest quality tea, but actually masala chai blends require modest teas!!)
4-Tbsp (Test Yield) Recipe:
1 stick of cinnamon, coarsely ground
4 whole cloves
Seeds of 4 green cardamom pods, ground
4 Tellicherry peppercorns, ground
1/4 Tbsp of dried, cracked ginger
2 Tbsp Lipton Yellow Label loose tea
Compare: Peet's blend on the left, this blend on the right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment