Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Cauliflower and a Friend
I call this dish Cauliflower and a Friend, because I make it differently depending on what I have available. The friend in this case is green beans, but can be potato or Indian paneer cheese.
Serves 2-4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Ingredients
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 head of cauliflower, broken up into florets
1/2 pound of green beans, cut into 1" pieces
or 2 potatos, diced
or 1/2 pound of paneer
1 Tbsp coriander powder
1 Tbsp turmeric powder
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bay leaf
1 green chili, chopped
3 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp salt
1 cup of hot water
Directions
1. In a wok, heat oil over high heat and add cumin seeds. Wait 30 seconds.
2. Add cauliflower florets and the "friend" (beans/potato/paneer). Let them brown by stirring once every 30 seconds for about 3 minutes. The wok might smoke a bit, but this all adds to the flavor.
3. Turn the heat down to medium and add the tomatoes and the spice mixture. Stir for a minute and then add the hot water.
4. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Serve with basmati rice, or roti/chappati, and optionally with Indian mixed pickle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is delicious. I'm a big fan of the paneer version!
ReplyDeleteGlad you like it! It's one of my personal favourites and is easy too!
Delete